Friday, March 12, 2010

Assimilating Home

It is an experience that many people go through- the first time moving away from home. The universality of this life experience of course has its differences between cultures, such as age, why one is moving, etc. But in the end, most people move out of their parents home at one point or another. I remember my first year at Luther, I would be careful with my wording around my parents when talking about school- I wouldn't reference it as home. Towards the end of my first year and beginning of my sophmore year Luther became home as well, and when I said "I'm going home" I really meant to the location I was currently not at. However, another transition took place after J-term sophmore year. "Home" became Luther, and Luther only. My parents' home became just that- my parents' home. Not mine. This transition was catalyzed by the minor changes I noticed during weekends or school breaks. It wasn't necessarily difficult to go back to my childhood home, but it was different. I no longer lived there permanently, and I probably never will again. There were little things around the community that changed that I was not aware about. There use to be things I would know as a resident in my community- insider information if you will- and that no longer stands. I no longer can assimilate to my life before Luther. Is this how it should be? Personally, I believe yes. I'm not paying big bucks to go to a college that will not change my life in one way or another. But I think it goes deeper than the money. Yes- if I planned on returning to my original hometown someday, I think I would be able to assimilate back into it. People are adaptive- it's human nature. If I had to, I could. But I won't ever have to again. And that means that I probably never will. Over the next few years, my home will change again. And again. And again several more times. That's what I wanted. For me, it's part of growing up. But does this mean I will no longer fit in with all my past homes? Will my home really become an in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment